Tonight, I am recommending to you – a Chinese musical.
Why? Well, why not?
Here’s why Perhaps Love should be promising enough:
1) It’s directed by Peter Chan – who directed the superb weepy Comrades: Almost A Love Story, the only film in our Asian Cinema class that received a thunderous round of applause when the screen faded to black.
2) Its cinematography is by Christopher Doyle – Wong Kar Wai’s long time collaborator, the man responsible for the lush, garish, moody lighting in Wong’s films.
3) It’s set in Shanghai (the beautiful and historical Bund street), and Beijing (flashbacks of the main characters’ love affair are done in sad, wintry colors)
4) It’s choreographed by a Bollywood guy – ooh, imagine the explosion of sight and sound with this Bollywood touch!
And last, but certainly not least…
5) It stars Takeshi Kaneshiro – my boyfriend.